On Thursday, Nick Carter filed a countersuit against the 17-year-old who previously accused him of sexual battery.
On December 9, Shannon Ruth sued the Backstreet Boys vocalist in Clark County, Nevada. In 2001, she claimed Carter sexually assaulted her on the band’s bus after their gig in Tacoma, Washington. However, it was during the band’s Black & Blue tour. Ruth contracted HPV, which can lead to genital warts and even cancer, according to the civil action. It alleges that she was assaulted.
The 43-year-old member of the Backstreet Boys filed a countersuit against Shannon Ruth and Melissa Schuman on Thursday. He claimed that the two women plotted sexual misbehavior for financial gain. However, Carter denied Ruth’s claims in Thursday’s Clark County countersuit. Ruth allegedly “perpetuated a series of lies aimed to undermine Carter’s reputation and ability to earn a living.” The countersuit claimed Ruth’s complaint was part of a five-year plot to “harass, slander, and extort” the singer.
The lawsuit says that Carter and the Backstreet Boys lost about $2.35 million due to Ruther’s action. However, Nick Carter wants the same damages. The band’s countersuit said that Ruth’s claims led to the cancellation of five promotional events. Besides, contracts or endorsement deals with ABC, Good Morning America, MeUndies, Vrbo, and Roblox faced cancellation.
Ruth was manipulated by Melissa Schuman and her father, Jerome Schuman, into “stating false charges,” according to the counterclaim. Schuman said that Carter drugged and raped her in 2002 at Carter’s residence. Carter replied that the sexual activity was voluntary and he was not guilty of sexual assault.
Ruth and three other Jane Does accused Nick Carter of sexual assault. Besides, Ruth asked the court to award her punitive and compensatory damages for her medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses. She has cerebral palsy, a disease that affects movement and coordination, and she is autistic.